Tuesday, January 17, 2017


AS BOTSWANA TURNED 50 YEARS

You were barren yet bountiful Botswana when I bid for you
I baited you and dated you with all your doubts due
I took you to the floor flourishing in the open dance
Betrothed we wedded and gave each other the chance
Fifty years later our dance remains faultless
Yet its flourish declines to be doubtless.
For as in dance I move you to the floor
In doubt you dance me to the door.

You wish that I would praise your beauty and cherished charms
You feel my bait since the first date is now decked in dutiful alms
The dance we share is like motions broken by staccato passages
The bands of bonds we banded and bounded to lack messages
For you think I am lacking in feeling
Because my waltz now lacks sterling
The truth though lives that I love you
Slow speed is from the pace of loving you

Fathom the changes you’ve undergone and the loads on board
Picture the sequences of the dance and the moves you hoard
Then you will see me as the old stranger in the new environ
Whose lexicon is of fifty years and his attire a worn out gown
My graces are less resplendent where you retain elegance
Because your country dance mismatches my relevance

By Andrew Sesinyi




No comments: